Thursday, June 7, 2007

Top Pub- Meg's Party.

Well the party happened!

I never thought of getting a 30th Birthday balloon, but I did get a badge that read '30th' on it. We were sitted at table number 30, but despite what the others thought I had not ordered table 30. It was just a 'happy' coincidence. A lady two tables over was having a 70th Birthday with balloons. I said to Meg "If you're feeling old imagine how she feels!"

Simon had broken up with Meg on Sunday. They seem to take turns doing this every couple of months. She does not want to talk about it at the moment so enough said.

Thus he was not there. Sarah, Kim's third daughter, was unable to come as she had to work at the last moment. Of course I had not invited either Melissa or Angela as they are not speaking to each other nor is Melissa speaking to Kim. Ross was too tired from work to come.

Kim, Jess, Don Jr, Kath, Nathen and kids were there as well as Cliff and myself.

We used our shop a dockets and every one seemed pleased with their meals. There was so much left over from everyone else's plates that Don Jr and Nathen couldn't cope with it all. It must be the first time I've seen those two knock back food.

While waiting for our orders I thanked Meg once again for coming and telling me what a good mother I had been to her. I can't get over her admitting that.

I never thought for the two years, when she was 15-17, when she told me that she hated me evry day, that she would do a 180. It shows that she is maturing. I guess it didn't hurt that she met Simon's mother Rita. The comparsion was just so blatant. Now there is a woman who thinks that she is a mother of 'young' children all her life. She wants to control her eight sons' lives like they were little boys rather than men in their 30's and 40's. The sad part is, they allow it.

Anyway, I was felling all warm from Meg's praise when Kim burst into tears. I guess the comparsion between my older daughter praising me and hers, who refuses to speak to her was too great.

So I began to talk about the book I was currently reading.

But truth be told, I was pleased that Kim knew how Meg felt. As a young mother she turned to me one day and said she didn't need to be told how to mother her kids as she was a better mother than me.

I guess we now know which one turned out to be the better mother. (At the present time, as thing change so quickly, especially in a 'living' family.)

Is it too mean to take joy out of the situation, not of my making?

Cliff had picked up the mud cake and brought it over to my house. I had taken it to the kitchen staff and they bought it out after we had our main meal. I was disappointed it had white chocolate on it. Though I had ordered vanilla mud cake I still thought it would have dark chocolate on it. Meg said I had ordered white as it is my favourite. It is , but it was a genuine mistake. She loved the candles that spelt out her name. M-E-G. Told her I got them from What's New?

After the cake it was 9 p.m. and the party began to break up. Kim thanked me for asking her and said it will most likely be the only 30th Birthday party she will be attending this year as Melissa will not invite Kim to celebrate hers.

Meg said Melissa had not even rang Meg to wish her Happy Birthday. At one stage Meg had been great pals with Melissa despite the fact Melissa broke her toys or stole them when she could. Well we all grow up whether we want to or not.

Everyone else went home but Meg and I spent twenty minutes in the pokie room. I put $30 in the machines and walked away with $25. So that wasn't too bad I was prepared to lose the $30.

Meg will met me for lunch at 1 p.m. this Friday.

No comments: