Saturday, July 16, 2011

Boo Hoo Karen.

Every Friday night the Traralgon R.S.L. has a member
ship draw. It starts at $500 and goes up every week
by $50 if the member called is not present to accept
the money.

I am a "the glass is half full" kind of person so am
positive that one day my name will be called out.

Thus I go every Friday night.

Last Friday the 15th July, Cliff was on the pokies
and I was at the table packing up our stuff waiting
for the last member number of the night. They call
3 numbers each Friday, one at 6.40 p.m. one at 7.10
p.m. and oneat 7.40 p.m. The member whose number is
called has 3 minutes to come and claim the money.
If the prize is claimed no other numbers are drawn
for that night. The man called the number and then
went to check to whom it belonged and announced the
winner to be Karen Roberts.

Karen is my son's ex and the mother of his three
younger children. She lives one block from the R.S.L.
I instantly rang her, but it took her twenty seconds
to answer the phone. I just said "If you want $550
get your butt to the R.S.L. now." I went over to the
man and he was announcing that she was not here. I
said "She still has over 2 minutes, so give her time
she'll be here."

I went out side and waited about a minute then I went
and told Cliff what was happening then headed back
out the front in time to see Karen and her eldest
daughter hurrying into the club. I pointed out the
man she had to speak to and he said that she was too
late. I reckon that it would have been a close thing
as though they say they give you three minutes it is
really more like a minute and a half.

People don't realize just how slow three minutes is!

So Karen missed out and I missed out on getting the
$150+ she owes me.

No comments: