Friday, January 10, 2014

Shingles (Cont.)

The rash got worse despite taking the medication so I
went to see Dr. Rose. She gave me some Codapane
Forte, for the stabbing pain and some Calamine lotion
for the burning sensation.

It turns out that if you are under 50 you only have a
1 in 1,000 of catching it. But once you are over 50
that increases to 1 in 250.

Also you usually catch it from the chicken pox virus
when you come in contact with it. But if like me you
have been immunized then it eliminates it from your
system except in some cases where one virus hides in
a nerve in the spine just waiting to come out and play.

So with my diabetes it turns out that lowers immunity
as well add the stress of Christmas and the little
devil saw its chance.

The rash can last from two to six weeks. From day
three the itching stops and is replaced with a burning
sensation which lasts as long as the rash. Also
depending on how bad the rash is, depends if I'm left
with mild discolouring of the skin to severe scarring.

But I am very lucky. The nerve could have been near
a vital organ and caused damage to them. Or the rash
could have been in a more visible place like the arms
legs or worse on the face. There have been cases
involving the eye nerve and it has cause blindness!

About day 6 another pain happens. This time it is a
stabbing pain inside along the nerve.

This nerve pain can last for three months in 25% of
sufferers. Up to a year for another 60% of people.
For 15% of sufferers the pain can go on for YEARS!!!

The tablets I am taking is famlovircic and I am
suffering from one of the side effects which is a
generalized itching from the bottom of my feet to the
top of my head. It was so bad last night that I did
not fall asleep till close to 6 a.m. but a fly buzzing
near my ear woke me at 10 a.m.

It did not help that Cliff was snoring, the dogs ran
outside three times from midnight to 6 a.m. barking
and then jumping on the bed, then scratching their
fleas! that a car screeched past at 3 a.m. that some
men were at the mail box talking and drinking at 2
a.m. for about half an hour. The birds sang for an
hour from about 4.30 a.m. till 5.30 a.m.

As I said a BAD night for sleeping! wish I had stayed
home!


No comments: