Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jazz

I have never been into Jazz. Maybe because I was born after the big Jazz era. But Cliff wanted to go and see a Jazz group performing at the Tyers Hall on Sep 6th so I bought the tickets for his birthday.

The group was called General Store, because they first started playing at Merrick's General Store on the Mornington Pensular.

At the break the members of the Gippsland Acoustic Music Club provided tea/coffee and cakes and the cakes were quite scrumptious.

Quite enjoyed the evening especially when after the half time break the singer announced she was going to give away a CD to the first person who called out who sang the song she was about to sing in the film version of the musical show, after she was finished. She began to sing "I've grown accustomed to HIS face."

I had to go to the toilet and gave the answer to Cliff but luickily was back in time as he had no intention of embrassing himself by calling out ( it would have only been embrassing if I had of been wrong!) so I called out "Rex Harrison" and scored myself a free CD!

I guess changimg the words threw a few people off, but there was one bloke who was a hare's breath behind me! I had finished the ..son and he was starting the Harr.. part of the name.

The singer called out "The winner is the lady walking along the back of the hall." Helps to have a stand out feature, like returning from the toilet!!

Of course Rex sings it about Eliza when he sings "I've grown accustomed to HER face."

It is the first time I have been to the Tyres Hall. It has acoustic boards over the walls and celing so the sound quality of the music was good.

The band featured a sax, double bass and guitar, there was no drummer but there had been one on the album.

No comments: