Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cliff's Surprise 60th Birthday Party

This was held at The Morwell Club, Helen St,
Morwell at 6 p.m. on Friday 28th Sept, 2012.

I was running late after taking the cake and
ballons to the club so I swung past the shop
to see what Cliff was doing, as it was aready
5.30 p.m. Luckily Moniare was delivering
some goods Cliff had ordered, so Cliff had not
packed up and gone, but that also meant that
he might be still at the shop till after 6 p.m.
and I did not want him to turn up at the same
time as some of the guests.

I asked him to come and pick me up in 20 minutes
as I still had to go home and grab a quick
shower and change. He said he had already had
three beers and that I should come and pick him
up when I was ready.

Raced home like a mad woman and was just walking
out the door when Kath rang and said she and
Kirsten were still getting ready and had as yet
not been to the club and put the happy birthday
glitter on the table!

No sooner had I hung up from her call then the
phone rang again. Cliff said Gavin had turned
up at the shop and he had driven Cliff's car
to the club. Who should be there than Lena!
Cliff did seem surprised that she was there and
I acted as if I was surprised too Like "Lena??
Lena who?? oh LENA! well I guess she came because
I was telling her it was the last Friday of the
month and there were some good raffle prizes going."

As I got there Neil Stucky and his girlfriend were
checking in, I told them to wait and went to see
where Cliff was. Right in the dinning room under
the T.V.!! John was with him. I asked him how come
he was watching T.V. when normally he would be
in the poker room? John had the job of keeping
him in there till most of the people turned up.
Cliff said he thought I might like to order tea,
and I said not right now maybe in half and hour.
As John had told me that he was giving Cliff and I
a voucher for dinner for two and a bottle of wine
as Cliff's birthday present, I had to delay our
tea order.

As it was already 10 past 6 I was expecting most
of the people to turn up in the next ten minutes.

As he was getting up to make his way to the poker
room I saw Neil and his girlfriend walking into
the dinning room and I waved frantically at them
to go back out and turned back to Cliff who luckily
was still focused on the T.V. news and had not seem
them. They were just disappearing out of sight when
Cliff walked out to the poker room, through the bar
area. As soon he was gone I raced out and grabbed
them and sat them at the table. Then rounded up
Lena who had been sitting with Cliff and Ross watching
the news with her son Daniel. Ross took all Cliff's
things and they moved to the big table.

It was then a matter of waiting for everyone else to
come. Meg and Mick were next to arrive. I took
some nice photos of them. Then Kath and Kirsten
came at about 6.25 p.m. and put the glitter on the
table.

I was still waiting for Jess and Sam to come as
well as Darren his wife and child and Stef.

At 6.30 p.m. Donald showed up with Sam and Connor,
which I had not expected as I thought he would
come with Lisa at 8 p.m. when she returned from work.

I then went into the poker room and who shoulod be
there but Stef!! I was sure that would ruin the
surprise because Stef never comes to the Morwell club.

I shooed him out to the dinning room and told Cliff
to come and order tea. He said I could order for him
and I said no come and order with me.

Ross said that Keith had gone off home with some
mates and slab and some dope at about 5.30 p.m. so he
might not come and I said ring him and tell him to get
his arse here now!

Well Cliff walked through the bar area and was half
way to the table under the T.V. when I called him
and said "Surprise" welcome to you 60th Birthday
party.

Even if he had almost guessed with Stef's arrival
he still acted stunned to see everyone there.
It was nice and I was so excited I never took
another photo!! Not even of the birthday boy himself!

Disappointed that Darren and family never showed but
more so that Angela, Sarah and Jess never came, as
they are my family after all.

No comments: