Friday, May 4, 2007

May Day - Euchre

So we are well and truly into Autumn. Mentioned to a few people at Euchre, on Monday night, that it was May Day the next Day. Considering most of the players are over 60 I was shocked when only three out of the fourteen knew what I was referring to. I don't expect the 'young' people to know about this, but I was sure most of the 'oldies' would. One lady did say she danced around the May pole when she was young. Of course it is mostly an English tradition but as most of the players are from an English-Irish-Scottish background I expected more.

Cliff and I go to Euchre every Monday night from 7.30 p.m. to about 10.40 p.m. We play in pairs. The winning pair move to the next table and each partners one of the 'losing pair' at that table. So we can almost play every member in the club during the night.

We play three games have a brief break to order drinks, toilet etc. Then another three games, a longer break for 'supper' (which is usually party pies and sausage rolls), the drawing of the trivia question asked at the beginning of the night, toilet and ordering more drinks. Three more games another short break and the final two games of the evening. The max: points for each game is 15. So at the end of last Monday my score was 130! The best score I have got in the three years I have been playing. My highest score till then was 124, which I got about two years ago! Though I was not the nightly winner. I was equal third for the night.

As many of the players say we are not playing for 'sheep' farms, but what ever I undertake I always try to improve my individual score. No point in trying to out do someone else as there will always be someone better than you at one point or another.

No comments: