Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Holiday Delight.

Once I handed in my final two assignments at TAFE two weeks ago I breathed a sigh of relief. Although I still have work to do on my non fiction project I decided to have a break and do some reading.

"Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult is actually the first book of hers I have read, though I must admit I have about three, in the house, from the shop.

It unfortunately came out at the same time as the last school shooting in America.

I liked the way she looked at the parent's point of view of the 'child killer.' I agree as I have thought about this a lot over the years. I would love my child no matter what they did but I would not condone what they did. Also it is only human nature to want to 'blame someone.' Again it is the 'poor' parents who are 'dumped' on. Yes there are some parents who neglect their children and do not give them a morale compass, but there are many good parents out there who do all the right things and their child turns out 'bad.'

In "Nineteen Minutes" it is the school bullying and the fact that no one prevented it that lead to the slaughter. What was so sad was that even then the 'surviving bullies' could not admit that they did anything wrong. If we can't learn from our mistakes we are condemmed to repeat them. Well written and I like the different point of views, which I have found is something difficult for a new writer to achieve, with any reasonable chance of distinguishing between the voices.

"Blood Ties" by Sam Hayes. The publisher gave a guarantee that if you wre not happy with this book you could have your money back. I wonder if I would be the first to ask for my money. I felt really gypped. The story led the reader in one direction all through the book and then gave a totally different ending. As if to say "Fooled you!" A tale of a kidnapped child, every parent's worse nightmare.

"A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon. An English author this is the first of his I have read. A story about a man's mid life crisis, and the fallout surrounding it. Loved the story, a laugh a minute. With some really poignant moments that struck home. Have heard of his "The Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" and asked Meg to get it for my birthday.

"Until Death" by Sandy Curtis. An Australian author, this is the first of her's that I have read. I love my murder mysteries, but this was more a J.D Robb style, with a greater emphasis on the romantic side and without all the furture gadgets. O.K. but as with all romances you know they will end uo 'happily ever afetr.'

"Cell" by Stephen King. Not the first of his I have read and I did enjoy it. The premise of a world sent mad by a mobile phone signal. I liked the variety in the survivors as well as 'crazy phone people' from the young to the old. Not a world split eg. all the people under 50 (say) who use mobile phones go crazy and all the old people who don't believe in them or have or use them stay sane. Very "Lord of the Flies" but on a grander scale, though we only stay with our small group of 'heroes.'

This week it is back to writing with only a small amount of reading.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Kylie Said...
Very nice blog G. It's great!! Very detailed... no wonder your a aspiring writer. Good Job!!! Alright see you whenever i see you and thanks for today, there were some relevant things on the blog(loke the dialogue stuff).So have to get ready for work now alright, have a nice holidays and see you when school goes back or whenever. Ciao,
Kyza