Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Winners are Grinners!

Cliff and I started playing Euchre about April 2003. So we are just going into our fifth year. In that time I have come 3rd twice with scores of 121 and 130. I have come 2nd twice with scores of 115 and 136. (I really thought the 136 would get me first place but Big John scored 148! that was about a month ago!) So imagine my surprise and delight when this week I came FIRST! and with a score of only 126! MY first 1st!! And my friend Karen who was the one who first brought Cliff and I was there to see it! Monday 2nd July 2007! a day to remember!

We play eleven games. No one has ever got the perfect score of 165. Everyone aims at scoring 10 per game to get an average of 100. Most players average over a 100. My average has gone up each year. Starting with 86, 92, 96 and 101. This year my average stands at 105.2. I am like the cat that got that bird. All smug. So Meg brought me down to earth when I told her by saying "What do you get for that?" "$10" I reply. "How much does it cost you per week to go?" Me "$4" "So that covered it ah?"

I think she missed the whole point it's not the money otherwise I would not still be going. It's the fun, the company and of course improving one's own score!

This week because of the no smoking rules inside public venues we started at 7 p.m. instead of 7.30 p.m. So instead of a minute or two to go to the toilet after the third and ninth game we have a five minute break for the smokers. No more "Come on Gloria hurry up we're waiting to start" when I go to the toilet. It was wonderful!

No comments: