Monday, September 3, 2007

The Melbourne Writer's Festival

Well what a cock up that was. As they say don't assume. I had done just that. As Barbara was the teacher I thought she would have organised the day. When we got to Flinders St station she didn't know how to get to the Malthouse Theatre. Elaine and I started walking. Barbara said it was an 8 minute walk. Fifty five minutes later we arrived. Ten minutes after the start of the talk we were to go to.

Not only that but Barbara had said she would give out the tickets on the train. She didn't so had to wait for Elaine and I, (as we were the last to arrive) to give us our tickets.

To top it off the talk was in The Tapping Room which was up three flights of stairs and not the nice type of stairs but the ones that send a surge of fear through me.

Then we find that one of the speakers didn't show and I was not that impressed with the two that were there. We saw "The Still Small Voice." I had no idea what the talk was about. The speakers talked about the voice of different characters.

There was an hour and a half break before the next session. Elaine and I decided to have lunch there. We just sat quietly outside in the sun. It was a beautiful day. The others went for another hike. My feet remained swollen from all that walking for three days! Checked out the bookshop and spent a fortune. Caught up with Margaret Guthrie. She is still doing the course, but on line. She said she needed one unit ofIndustry Overview, hence the trip to the Festival, to get her Cert IV.

Was still hungry and had a sandwich. Sat at an oak table inside and Catherine came and joined me.

I told Catherine how she had intimidated me in the first year. That it wasn't till half way through the second year that I had to speak to her about some work that I saw an inner softer side and this year I feel really comfortable with her and she is actually a very nice person. She said "Thank you Gloria."


Enjoyed the next session though it was not what I expected. Called "They Didn't See it Coming" I thought it would be about twist in the tale endings but the authors spoke of plot twists, which was disapponinting.

The last session of the day was "I Love the Smell od White out in the Morning." One of the speakers was Karen Slaughter. I enjoy reading her books. But the session finished at 6.p.m. and Barbara had ordered a taxi for me at 5.55 p.m. so I couldn't get her to sign a book. This session was about editing and it was a pity we couldn't stay for the questions or to meet the writers, though Mimi was getting on my goat about honouring the land, culture etc of the local natives. Once was enough but she kept harping on it. It really was annoying.

Thankfully the taxi was good and we arrived at the station with fifteen minutes to spare. Then we had to hike to the platform. Then it was announced we had to hike half the way back from where we had come from to catch the train at a different platfom! I was really thankful to be going home.

But all the trouble was only part of the problem. I found out that my favourite author (At this time) Alexander McCall Smith was a speaker and I didn't get to see him or have him sign my books.

Next year I will check out the program see who is speaking when. Select the authors I want to see and take my books and go to their sessions even if it means going on my own.

No comments: