Thursday, May 27, 2010

Paying the Rates

It always amazes me that no-one complaims about paying
water rates on vacant blocks of land just beacuse the
water pipes pass by your property. Next thing you know
the electric and gas people will say well our supplies
pass by your place so you should pay for those as well!

The last installment for our 2010 rates are due on Monday
31st May. As this is the day I usually get home about
2 p.m. and then have my nanny nap I really won't have time
to pay them on Monday so I went in today.

I have paid them on the date due and the lines are LONG.
Sometimes you have to wait as long as half and hour and
that is with the three girls working the registers. So I
do try to go in at least the day before.

I still thought there may have been a few sensible people
going in early and the wait may be about fifteen minutes
but no I was the only person being served so no wait at all.

I had asked Meg last night if she wanted me to pay the
rates for her as she was paying me her share of the water
bill this week ( over $100 and I did not want her to be
short of money for the week)and she said no she would
Bpay them on Monday. In fact she shouted at me that
she could "jolly well pay her own bill."

So imagine my surprise when I get a message on my mobile
asking me to pay the rates for her. Turns out that she had
to put money in the netball for a few of the other girls
going away to play this week end and she did not therefore
have enough to cover her rates!

When I told Cliff he said "So I guess you told her, No as
'she can jolly well pay her own bills.'" I said no I paid
them for her.

Isn't she lucky to have such an understanding Mum?

I also went to pay Donald's rates as he has not be in
steady work for about six months now but it turned out that
he had already paid them. He must have done it with the
last of his pay out money.

Isn't he a good Boy?

No comments: