Thursday, October 23, 2008

"We Care" Program, Latrobe Valley, Victoria.

I was finally contacted by Marya Stait. It seemed I must
have passed the police check. She aske me to attend a one
day training session at the Latrobe Regional Gallery on
Wednesday 22 October, 2008.

There were ten of us, nine women and one man. Eight came
from Traralgon one from Tanjil South and myself from Morwell.

The session was run by Judy Setches who operates the program
in Moe and outlaying areas from there and Marya who does
the same for the Traralgon, Morwell and outlaying areas.

They went throught the 3 R's, Our Roles, Rights, and
Responsibilites.

We had two 'guest speakers' Joelle Champert from Vision
Austraila, who told about loss of sight in the older
Australian and aids that were available to aid impaired
people. It sounded such a responsibility, I'm not sure
I could cope with a 'blind' friend.

Then Carole Ayres from the Latrobe City Council spoke
about OH & S issues for us as volunteers.

The next step will be the matching up process, like
finding a date! The ladies did say they had a number of
individuals on the books waiting for 'friends.' So I'm
hoping that by the New Year I have a new friend to visit.

No comments: