Thursday, August 2, 2007

R. I. P. Sylvester

On Friday the 27th July as I was putting my stuff for the weekend into Cliff's bedroom, I heard a snippet of conversation-

Cliff "Did you fed the animals?"
Ross "Yes, but Sylvester didn't come home."

I had to go to my car. Then we all went to the R.S.L. for the raffle etc. I drove down Gilles Ave into Grey Street then turned into the R.S.L. street.

Never thought anything more about Cliff's cat, Sylvester.

On the way to Beryl's via Subway I had to drive down Gilles Ave again and I spot a LARGE, very DEAD, black and white cat in the right hand side gutter.

'Oh, Oh." thinks I, the snippet comes flashing into my mind. 'Will have to tell them this evening, that could be Sylvester, if I heard what I think I heard.'

Then it goes COMPLETELY out of my head.

That evening Ross says "Sylvester dndn't come home AGAIN."

Image of the very DEAD cat comes to mind.

Me "Sylvester won't be coming home again, he's dead." Note the tact!!

"WHAT?" from both Cliff and Ross.

"I noticed a VERY dead cat in the gutter around the corner, this morning, on the way to Beryl's."

"And you're only telling us NOW." says Cliff.

"Where?" from Ross.

Me. "I forgot. I'll drive you there."

So I told Ross to bring a large garbage bag. Then we drove around the corner. He got out and went to see if it was Sylvester and I turned the car around.

Yes it was the cat. Now lying with stiff legs protruding at a 90 degree angle from the body. As Ross was inspecting it, a woman from the house, in front of that part of the gutter, where the dead cat was, starting speaking to Ross though the window.

Ross only bought a plastic supermarket bag and it was FAR too small. I wasn't letting him in my car with the dead cat. It was only five houses away, so he walked home.

Turns out the woman said, 'A HOON was doing at least 80 KM down the road. The cat was fast, just not fast enough. It died instanly.' She said the driver didn't even stop. It happened between 5-6 p.m. on Thursday night.

So on Friday when we drove to the Club we passed Sylvester in the gutter and did not notice.

Cliff said 'Why didn't they bury it.' I said 'Good thing they didn't otherwise we'd never know what happened.'

Sunday morning Ross buried the cat. He came in and said "Well that's the biggest hole I've ever had to dig for a dead animal."

Rest In Peace Sylvester.

No comments: