Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stephen King

Over the last three weeks I have read the last two of King's
books. "Lisey's Story" and "Duma Key." I liked them but
unlike a lot of his previous books these were not 'can't put
them down till I finish.'

These were tomes and I for one thought they could have been
cut short and still made the point. They hammered the point
home over and over again, so much so I was forced to stop
reading.

I have noticed a trend, in his books, since his near death
from that car hitting him, that he looks at death differently.
There is now an element of after life, other life or next
life in his books and both these books dealt with DEATH.

"Lisey's Story" was about a widow of a famous writer coping
with her husband's death even two yeras after the event.
(Thoughts of what might have been?)

"Duma Key" is about a man who is almost killed in an accident
and is mentally and physically changed as a result.

In both books there is a thin veil between this world and the
next and we see how our main characters cope when that veil
parts and reveals the other world to them.

As I said I enjoyed them but I think he is still trying to
work through what happened to him.

Well isn't that what writers do with their writing use it to
ease their lives and make them better, ...excise our demons
onto the pages?

No comments: