Saturday, May 3, 2008

Worms and other Attacks

As I have gotten older the red rosy tinted glasses of innocence
have become somewhat askewed. In other words I have become a
cynic. I no longer believe in coincidences. At the beginning
of last month I received a survey from Your Voice on computers
and how much I'd be willing to spent to rid my computer of a
virsus or other damaging attacks.

Witin 24 hours I was having trouble with my computer and within
a week it was so corrupted I had to take it to a dealer and have
the hard drive wiped.

But in that intervening week I received a message saying that
my computer was being attacked and I needed spyware protection
and as my Norton 360 seemed to be doing nothing! I bought the
package ($60) but of course it did nothing as well.

Now if that survey had a hidden virsus on it and it was sent
out to 1,000 respondenets that means a tidy amount of $60,000
to the company of that spyware package.

I was lucky that 95% of my files were backed up and all I lost
were my games.

But another annoying thing is reinstalling all my other hard
ware items e.g. scanner and printer as I can't find the CD's
that originally came with them. Luckily I was able to locate
my internet CD after a week's search. I have also found my
digital camera CD and palm CD. But I also asked the man to
install a fast USB port and now the computer is asking me to
install the CD related to that but the service man did not
give me a CD when I picked up the computer! So I'll have to
go back and ask about that. It never rains but it pours.
(He say it was with the CD's of my backed up files but I don't
know what I did with those. They are here some place!!!)

The above reasons are the excuses why I have not done my blog
in nearly three weeks. The computer was in the shop for TEN
days! But now I should be able to do it again, provided that
nothing else happens.

I cetainly am not a happy camper.

Of course in the wipe clean I also lost the spyware package
and the Norton 360, which as I said did SFA.

No comments: